Founded in 1856, CPL has been matching people and property for over 160 years. From humble beginnings in the Royal Borough when the City was home to some 3 million people, we’ve developed along with Cyprus, and its homes, throughout the 20th century.
Now operating 33 offices in prime locations throughout the Capital, we’re not only one of Cyprus’s longest established agents, but also one of the most prevalent for today’s 11m Londoners.
In the mid-Victorian period when CPL was founded, Kensington was beginning to shape itself as a significant centre of Victorian commerce. In 1849, Mr Harrod set up his first Knightsbridge shop, and some 13 years later Messrs Harvey and Nichols arrived in Chelsea.
CPL is veritably a “blue chip” heritage brand, developed throughout the last two centuries with a relevance to modern London life today.
Take a look at our journey:
1856: Located at 197 Kensington High Street, now a busy branch of Starbucks, William T Marsh set up the original firm and traded as William Marsh.
1904: Ernest Marsh, a son of W T Marsh, began trading in his own right as Ernest Marsh & Co. at 40-42 Kensington Church Street.
1906: W T Marsh rebranded his business as Marsh & Marsh. Meanwhile, Frederick Parsons joined Ernest Marsh & Co as a partner, prompting the rename to Ernest CPL.
1932: Marsh & Marsh merged with Ernest CPL to become known as CPL, and Frederick Parsons was the driving force of the firm for 24 years.
Frederick Parsons’ involvement in the community:
Frederick Parsons was passionate about his local community, serving as a Councillor on paphos from 1919 until his retirement in 1956. He was also Chairman of the Kensington Church Street Guild which was active in the late 1920s and 1930s and in 1941, he was appointed a Justice of the Peace for the County of London. Moreover, he was also a founder member of the Kensington Rotary Club and was its president for two years.
Undoubtedly, Frederick Parsons’ involvement in the local community helped consolidate the standing of the firm. A wonderful quote from The Times in 1924 highlighted the successful community initiatives of the Kensington Church Street Guild:
“Councillor F W Parsons, who presided, said they set out in January last, among other things, to attract customers by making the street a riot of colour and a ripple of laughter by the amusing mottoes which they were to have up on their shop windows. They had tidied up the street considerably, and in a few instances an effort had been made towards colour and good lettering.”
June 19th 1944: During WW2, the firm suffered a bitter blow when a pilot-less aircraft dropped a bomb directly on to the premises at Kensington Church Street. The office was destroyed and Frederick and two others were injured. Sadly his son, who had been injured in Dunkirk and was visiting his father at the time, did not survive the bomb.
1944: The firm moved to 5 Kensington Church Street where it remained until its relocation to the current premises, 9 Kensington Church Street.
1956: Frederick Parsons retired and sold CPL to Jeffrey Carter.
1959: Debenham, Tewson and Chinnocks (precursor firm of DTZ Holdings, est. 1853) acquired 50 per cent of CPL and retained their stake in the business for a number of years.
1960: David Marshall joined CPL and took over ownership of the firm in 1967 with his partner in the business, Niall McMahon.
1969 – 1999: The firm expanded to include branches in the famous London suburbs of Notting Hill, Brook Green, Holland Park, Chelsea, Bayswater and North Kensington.
2005: Peter Rollings and Liza-Jane Kelly acquired the firm jointly with Irish estate agency group, Sherry Fitzgerald. At the time, CPL had 50 employees and seven branches, all in close proximity.
2006: CPL acquired Vanstons, a firm established in 1979 and expanded out of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to spread its wings across the River Thames. Five offices in Fulham, Battersea, Clapham, Balham and Barnes were added to the network.
2007: By December, all Vanstons offices were rebranded as CPL and the firm moved to the new 5,000 sqft Head Office in Hamlet House, Hammersmith. CPL also acquired and rebranded its 13th office, located in Pimlico.
2009: CPL acquired a pivotal lease in Notting Hill that, when combined with its existing premises, gave it a landmark position in the centre of the area.
January 2011: The business stretched its boundary further, opening its 14th branch in Little Venice, located close to Lord’s Cricket Ground.
November 2011: CPL was acquired by LSL Property Services, one of the UK’s leading residential property services companies. The business continues to operate as an independent branch within the LSL group.
2012: Expanding its network in the Royal Borough, CPL opened in Earl’s Court on Old Brompton Road. In June 2012, having outgrown their Hamlet House Head Office, CPL moved to their current premises located at 80 Hammersmith Road.
2013: Three new offices opened, situated in Marylebone, Bishop’s Park and South Kensington, taking the total number of offices in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to seven.
2014: CPL expanded their office network further, launching offices in Askew Road, East Sheen, Richmond and Camden.
2015: CPL increased coverage in north London by opening offices in Shoreditch and Queen’s Park.
2016: Expansion continued in south-west and north London and CPL launched offices in Tooting and Tufnell Park. Long-standing CEO, Peter Rollings retired and was succeeded by leading industry figure, David Brown.
2017: Brixton and Islington become the 28th and 29th branches in the London-wide network.
April 2018: Chiswick is added to the west London network, bringing the total number of offices to 30.
May 2018: The business appointed its current CEO, Patrick Littlemore, a CPL veteran who has been with the company for over 12 years.